Genteel, Down-to-earth, Captivating! That’s what Harbhajan Mann is, who after establishing himself as one of the leading singers in Punjab with his debut album “Chithiye ni chithiye”, made millions of Indians dance to the tunes of the unforgettable, “Oye-hoye”, the world-over and made his mark in acting too!!
- Harbhajan Mann was born on 30th of December 1965 in village- ‘Khemuana’, Bathinda to S. Harnek Singh and Late Smt. Dalip Kaur. He has 4 brothers and 3 sisters and he is 6th amongst them.
- He got inspired to become a singer when during his childhood he and his brother used to visit local gurudwara in their village. They were truly inspired by ‘Baba Karnail Singh’ there who became his Guru and started teaching him singing.
- He shifted to Canada when he was in 6th standard. After shifting there, he started getting light classical training from ‘Shiek Hamed”and “Balbir Singh Bandhu’.
- In 1980, while doing his higher schooling in Canada, Harbhajan Mann started singing as an amateur singer and performed in local shows for South Asian community
- He started his career as professional singer in 1992 when he was in Punjab and his song “Chithiye Nee Chithiye” was released. This song became hugely popular in Punjab.
- After the huge success from “Chithiye Nee Chithiye” , his albums released “Vadhaiyan Jee Vadhaiyan” and the song “Jag Jeondeyan De Mele” released and 1999, got him completely into mainstream singing.
- With the help of MTV India and T-series, Harbhajan Mann’s album “Oye Hoye” got awesome success in 1999. And from then he became popular not just in Punjab, but the whole India.
- There are around 12 albums under his name and he has also worked with famous music directors such Sukhshinder Shinda, Charanjit Ahuja and Jaidev Kumar. He gave hits like Satrangi Peengh (2003)-a song with his little brother Gursewak Mann, Dil Dol Gaya (2005), Mauj Mastiyan (2007), Nazran Miliyan (2008) and Main Wari Wari (2010)
- Harbhajan Mann got into acting and starred, produced and sung in 7 Punjabi films, including ‘Jee Aaya Nu’ (2002), ‘Assa Nu Maan Watna Da’ (2004), ‘Dil Apna Punjabi (2006)’, ‘Mitti Wajaan Maardi (2007)’, Mera Pind- My Home (2008), Jag Jeondeyan De Mele (2009), Yaara – o – dildaara, Heer-Ranjha (2010) and Just Punjabi (2010.
- Harbhajan Mann is married to Harmandeep kaur. He has three kids (2 son and 1 daughter) namely Avkash, Sahar and Meher.
- In his free time, he likes to read Punjabi literature, newspapers and spend time with his family.
- His favorite book is, “Mera Pind” by Gyani Gurudutt Singh.
- He likes the singing of Shauqat Ali Khan from Pakistan.